With skin cancer being the most common form cancer today, it is important that patients take steps to care for themselves to prevent a diagnosis or reoccurrence of skin cancer. This can be done by making healthy life choices and practicing a skin care regiment to give you healthy, beautiful skin for a lifetime. The following tips can help you to maintain healthy skin:
- Always apply sunscreen of at least SPF 30 before spending time outdoors. Also, remember to reapply every hour when exposed to direct sunlight.
- Wear protective clothing like a brimmed hat and sunglasses when outside.
- Avoid spending time in the sun between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., when the sun’s ray are the strongest.
- Avoid the use of tanning beds.
- Avoid smoking.
- Consume a healthy diet low in fat and high in nutrients to maintain a healthy weight.
- Perform skin examinations monthly and schedule regular body checks with your dermatologist.
Following these lifestyle choices can help to prevent and/or catch skin cancer in the early stages. Regular surveillance of the skin is needed to help keep it healthy and beautiful and to help patients live a long life.
If you are located in the Farmington Hills or West Bloomfield areas and are interested in learning more about skin cancer maintenance, contact our office today. We would be happy to schedule an appointment for you to discuss your questions and concerns with Dr. Baird.